PRP CLINICAL & SCIENTIFIC RESOURCES
Up to date PRP resources
Several clinical studies agree that Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) has been shown to be effective when used as part of treatment plans in a variety of therapeutic applications including:
- Osteoarthritis: Knee, Shoulder, Hip & Spine Rotator Cuff
- Strains & Tears
- Tendonitis & Ligament Sprains
- Soft Tissue Injuries
- Chronic Knee Pain Muscle Strains
- Pelvic Pain & Instability
- Aesthetic Applications
The procedure is less aggressive and less expensive than surgery and can help to alleviates further degeneration of the tissues with minimal or no scarring. This process uses the patient’s own blood thereby eliminating any chance of rejection response and minimizes the likelihood of infection.
The robust published clinical data demonstrates the use of PRP in multiple therapeutic areas.
- Effect of intra-articular injection of platelet-rich plasma on interleukin-17 expression in synovial fluid and venous plasma of Knee Osteoarthritis patients [LINK]
- Clinical Results of Platelet-Rich Plasma for Partial Thickness Rotator Cuff Tears: A Case Series [LINK]
- A Prospective, Randomized, Double-Blind, Parallel-Group, Placebo-Controlled Study Evaluating Meniscal Healing, Clinical Outcomes, and Safety in Patients Undergoing Meniscal Repair of Unstable, Complete Vertical Meniscal Tears (Bucket Handle) Augmented with Platelet-Rich Plasma [LINK]
- The Effectiveness of Platelet-Rich Plasma Injections in Gluteal Tendinopathy: A Randomized, Double-Blind Controlled Trial Comparing a Single Platelet-Rich Plasma Injection With a Single Corticosteroid Injection. [LINK]
- Current concepts in intraosseous Platelet-Rich Plasma injections for knee osteoarthritis
Diego Delgado, Ane Garate, Hunter Vincent, Ane Miren, Bilbaoc Rikin, Pateld Nicolás Fiz, Steve Sampson, Mikel Sánchez https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6349647/
- Platelet-rich plasma in osteoarthritis treatment: review of current evidence. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2040622319825567
- Current Clinical Recommendations for Use of Platelet-Rich Plasma. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6220007/
- Platelet-Rich Plasma for the Treatment of Tissue Infection: Preparation and Clinical Evaluation. https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/ten.teb.2018.0309
- A randomized clinical trial on comparison of corticosteroid injection with r without splinting versus saline injection with or without splinting in patients with lateral epicondylitis
- Platelet-rich plasma vs corticosteroids for elbow epicondylitis: A systematic review and meta-analysis. https://journals.lww.com/md-journal/fulltext/2019/12200/platelet_rich_plasma_vs_corticosteroids_for_elbow.50.aspx
- An evidence-based evaluation on the use of platelet rich plasma in orthopedics – a review of the literature. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5632954/
- Innovative Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) & Bone Marrow Concentrate (BMC) Protocols with New Data for Knee Osteoarthritis. Healthy Aging Research. Dec 21, 2015
- In vitro study of the role of thrombin in platelet rich plasma (PRP) preparation: utility for gel formation and impact in growth factors release. Journal of Cells and Regenerative Medicine. Oct 2015. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4929890/
- Current concepts in intraosseous Platelet-Rich Plasma injections for knee osteoarthritis. Diego Delgado, Ane Garate, Hunter Vincent, Ane Miren, Bilbaoc Rikin, Pateld Nicolás Fiz, Steve Sampson, Mikel Sánchez. September 2018
- Randomized controlled trial comparing hyaluronic acid, platelet-rich plasma and the combination of both in the treatment of mild and moderate osteoarthritis of the knee
- Regenerative Injection Treatment in the Spine: Review and Case Series with Platelet Rich Plasma. Journal of Cells Research, Reviews & Reports.
- Navigating through Biologics and Regenerative Therapies for Chronic Low Back Pain
Healthy Aging Research 2014, 3 (Suppl 1):A15.Oct 6, 2014
- Use of Platelet Rich Plasma for the Treatment of Bicipital Tendinopathy in Spinal Cord Injury: A Pilot Study. British Journal of Sports Medicine. BMJ 2014
- NEW: Platelet Rich Plasma Significantly Improves Clinical Outcomes in Patients with Chronic Tennis Elbow. A Double Blind, Prospective, Multicenter, Controlled Trial of 230 Patients. The American Journal of Sports Medicine. July 2013
- Platelet-rich plasma therapy as a first-line treatment for severe Achilles tendon tear: a case report. International Journal of Therapy and Rehabilitation. February 2011, Vol 18, No 2.
- Platelet rich plasma injection grafts for musculoskeletal injuries: a review Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. December 2008; 1(3-4):165-74.
- Therapeutic Efficacy of Platelet-Rich Plasma Injections in Treating Chronic High Hamstring Tendinopathy. Clinical Medical Reviews and Case Reports. Dec 2015.
- Multiple platelet-rich plasma injections for the treatment of refractory Achilles tendinopathy: results at 4 years. Blood Transfusion. Jan 2014.
- Effectiveness of Platelet-Rich Plasma Injection for Rotator Cuff Tendinopathy: A Prospective Open Label Study. American Journal of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. October 2011.
- Tawfik AA, Osman MAR. Tawfik AA, Osman MA. The effect of autologous activated platelet‐rich plasma injection on female pattern hair loss: A randomized placebo‐controlled study. Journal of cosmetic dermatology. 2018 Feb 1;17(1):47-53.
- Elghblawi E. Platelet‐rich plasma, the ultimate secret for youthful skin elixir and hair growth triggering. Journal of cosmetic dermatology. 2018 Jun;17(3):423-30. [Google]
- Badran KW, Sand JP. Platelet-Rich Plasma for Hair Loss: Review of Methods and Results. Facial Plastic Surgery Clinics. 2018 Nov 1;26(4):469-85.
- Cheng H, Zhang J, Li J, Jia M, Wang Y, Shen H. Platelet-rich plasma stimulates angiogenesis in mice which may promote hair growth. European Journal of Medical Research. 2017 Oct 11;22(1):39.
- Elghblawi E. Plasma‐rich plasma, the ultimate secret for youthful skin elixir and hair growth triggering. Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology. 2017 Sep 8.
- Jha AK, Udayan UK, Roy PK, Amar AK, Chaudhary RK. Platelet‐rich plasma with microneedling in androgenetic alopecia along with dermoscopic pre‐and post‐treatment evaluation. Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology. 2017 Aug 3.
- Ferrando J, García-García SC, González-de-Cossío AC, Bou L, Navarra E. A proposal of an effective platelet-rich plasma protocol for the treatment of androgenetic alopecia. International journal of trichology. 2017 Oct;9(4):165.
- Anitua E, Pino A, Martinez N, Orive G, Berridi D. The Effect of Plasma Rich in Growth Factors on Pattern Hair Loss: A Pilot Study. Dermatol Surg. 2017 May;43(5):658-670. Dermatol Surg. 2017 May;43(5):658-670.
- El Taieb MA, Ibrahim H, Nada EA, Seif Al-Din M. Platelets rich plasma versus minoxidil 5% in treatment of alopecia areata: A trichoscopic evaluation. Dermatol Ther. 2017 Jan;30(1). doi: 10.1111/dth.12437. Epub 2016 Oct 28.
- Gupta AK, Carviel J. A Mechanistic Model of Platelet-Rich Plasma Treatment for Androgenetic Alopecia. Dermatol Surg. 2016 Dec;42(12):1335-1339.
- Ferneini EM, Beauvais D, Castiglione C, Ferneini MV. Platelet-Rich Plasma in Androgenic Alopecia: Indications, Technique, and Potential Benefits. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2017 Apr;75(4):788-795. doi: 10.1016/j.joms.2016.10.040. Epub 2016 Nov 15.
- Maria-Angeliki G, Alexandros-Efstratios K, Dimitris R2, Konstantinos K. Platelet-rich Plasma as a Potential Treatment for Noncicatricial Alopecias. Int J Trichology. 2015 Apr-Jun;7(2):54-63. doi: 10.4103/0974-7753.160098. [Google]
- Singhal P, Agarwal S, Dhot PS, Sayal SK. Efficacy of platelet-rich plasma in treatment of androgenic alopecia. Asian J Transfus Sci. 2015 Jul-Dec;9(2):159-62. doi: 10.4103/0973-6247.162713.
- Gkini MA, Kouskoukis AE, Tripsianis G, Rigopoulos D, Kouskoukis K. Study of platelet-rich plasma injections in the treatment of androgenetic alopecia through an one-year period. J Cutan Aesthet Surg. 2014 Oct-Dec;7(4):213-9. doi: 10.4103/0974-2077.150743.